London Review Cake Shop - ‘A haven for bookworms and tea connoisseurs alike’ – Time Out
14 Bury Place, London WC1A 2JL Tel. 020 7269 9045. Open: Mon to Sat 10–6.30pm (closed on Sundays). Last orders 30 minutes before closing.
In September 2007 the London Review Cake Shop opened, connected to the bookshop by a passage in the History section. Specialist teas and coffee, freshly made sandwiches and salads, plus mouth-watering cakes, all surrounded by books and magazines, have contributed to making this the modern literary London coffee-house.
Our constantly evolving menu includes:
- Sandwiches, continually changing and made on a variety of artisanal breads
- Quiche and freshly made salads
- Baked goods: pâtisserie, tarts, slices and lovely handmade cakes. Customers favourites include triple-frosted carrot cake, gluten-free rose and pistachio, and orange marmalade cake
- The ever popular Monmouth coffee
- Specialist teas from Jing and guests – black, oolong, white, green
‘I like the traditional with a twist. I take the essence of what I grew up with in Australia – lemon trees, fresh herbs, sunny days, home baking – and infuse it with my travels and inspiration. And the inspiration comes from the farmers’ markets, from meeting the supplier, the cook, the person behind the produce. These independent producers signal a return to quality, to the love, knowledge and personality of good food. I hope that’s what you will find here.
We usually have a gluten-free lunch option available (ask at the counter), and at least one gluten-free cake – which may include rose and pistachio, chocolate and almond served with crème fraîche, or orange and almond with fruit compote. We don’t take bookings, but the Bookshop has comfortable seats and a wealth of interesting books for you to browse if you find you need to wait for a seat – or you can order food to take away. Follow us on Twitter, come and say hello, or contact me.’
– Terry Glover, Cake Shop Manager